I have been a lecturer in soil science at Stirling University since 2008 and senior lecturer since 2016. My research focuses on soil legacies; the evidence of past human activities and natural processes that are retained in soils. This enables me to reconstruct past land management and archaeological site formation, but I am also interested how the legacy of past activity influences soil quality today and how it may limit or support its future management and sustainability.
- Usai MR, Pickering MD, Wilson C, Manunza MR, Garbi I, Pittoni E, Brothwell DR & Keely BJ (2018) Evidence from burial sediments for prehistoric burial practice and ritual in Monte Claro chambered tombs: Micromorphology, mineralogy and geochemistry. Journal of Archaeological Science, 100, pp. 139-147.
- Pickering MD, Ghislandi S, Usai MR, Wilson C, Connelly P, Brothwell DR & Keeley BJ (2018) Signatures of degraded body tissues and environmental conditions in grave soils from a Roman and an Anglo-Scandinavian age burial from Hungate, York. Journal of Archaeological Science, 99, pp. 87-98.
- Sylvester G, Mann A, Cook S & Wilson C (2018) MMI partial extraction geochemistry for the resolution of anthropogenic activities across the archaeological Roman town of CallevaAtrebatum. Geochemistry: Exploration, Environment, Analysis, 18 (1), pp. 58-74.
- Sylvester G, Mann A, Rate A& Wilson C (2017) Application of high resolution Mobile Metal Ion (MMI) soil geochemistry to archaeological investigations: an example from a Roman metal working site, Somerset, United Kingdom. Geoarchaeology, 32 (5), pp. 563-574.
- Wilson C, Cloy JM, Graham MC & Hamlet L (2013) A microanalytical study of iron, aluminium and organic matter relationships in soils with contrasting hydrological regimes. Geoderma, 202-203, pp. 71-81.
- Davidson D, Wilson C, Lemos IS &Theocharopoulos SP (2010) Tell formation processes as indicated from geoarchaeological and geochemical investigations at Xeropolis, Euboea, Greece. Journal of Archaeological Science, 37 (7), pp. 1564-1571.
- Wilson C & Davidson D (2009) An evaluation of the site specificity of soil elemental signatures for identifying and interpreting former functional areas. Journal of Archaeological Science, 36 (10), pp. 2327-2334.