My main research is focused on archaeomagnetic, palaeomagnetic and magnetic mineralogy investigations applied in different fields of Earth Sciences such as geology, archaeology, volcanology and palaeoenvironment. I have obtained my PhD as MARIE CURIE early career fellow in the frame of the AARCH European project “Archaeomagnetic Applications for the Rescue of Cultural Heritage” and since then, an important part of my research activity is related to archaeomagnetism, archaeomagnetic dating, magnetic mineralogy and magnetic enhancement of archaeological soils, estimation of heating temperatures of baked clays, ancient production technology, provenance studies and several other archaeomagnetic applications used for the investigation and rescue of the historic, artistic and archaeological Cultural Heritage and for the reconstruction of the past variations of the geomagnetic field at short and long term time scales.
A selection of 5 most recent publications:
- Zanella, E., Tema, E., Lanci, L., Regattieri, E., Isola, I., Hellstrom, J.C., Costa, E., Zanchetta, G., Drysdale, R.N., Magrì, F., (2018). A 10,000 yr record of
high-resolution Paleosecular Variation from a flowstone of Rio Martino Cave,
Northwestern Alps, Italy. Earth and Planetary Science Letters, 485, 32-42.
- Tema, E., Hedley, I., Fasnacht, W., Peege, Ch., (2018). Insights on the geomagnetic secular variation in the Eastern Mediterranean: First directional data from Cyprus. Physics of the Earth and Planetary Interiors, 285, 1-11.
- Ferrara, E., Tema, E., Zanella, E., Beatrice, C., Miola, F., Pavesio, E., Perino, A., (2019). Investigating the provenance of Italian archaeological tools based on their
magnetic properties. Archaeological and Anthropological Sciences, 11(7), 3329–3341, https://doi.org/10.1007/s12520-018-0757-9
- Tema, E., Ferrara, E., (2019). Magnetic measurements as indicator of the equivalent firing temperature of ancient baked clays: New results, limits and cautions. Journal of Cultural Heritage, 35, 64-75, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.culher.2018.05.008
- Casas, Ll.,Tema E., (2019). Investigating the expected archaeomagnetic dating precision in Europe: A temporal and spatial analysis based on the SCHA.DIF.3K geomagnetic field model. Journal of Archaeological Science, 108, 104972, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jas.2019.104972