WG 1 - KNOWLEDGE CREATION, EXCHANGE & DEVELOPMENT
- To structure the knowledge of fundamental soil parameters involved in the detection of archaeological features using geophysical techniques with the goal of maximising data interpretation.
- To create an online resource sharing relevant publications.
- To promote the development of collaborative research proposals.
- Discuss and synthesise the findings of past studies exploring how land use practices, high variability in soil properties, soil post-depositional and other taphonomic processes within archaeological features may have an effect on geophysical prospection.
- Synthesise the outcomes of the various monitoring programmes (for example, of short term climate fluctuations) on archaeo-geophysics that have been completed.
- Review the results of the application of combined soil science and geophysical methods in exploring a range of sites (e.g. prehistoric tell-sites, caves & rockshelters, metallurgical sites, grave/burials, post-industrial landscapes) as well as mapping areas at risk of loss of cultural sediments and archaeological assets (e.g. wetlands, littoral zone).
- Based on these discussions, WG1 will produce recommendations for further research and create opportunities to develop collaborative research proposals.
- To report and showcase the outcomes of WG1 on the SAGA website, and produce an online database of relevant literature.
- Review the accessibility to researchers of commercially-held archives and to document their existence and utility.
Working Group Leader: Wilson Clare (c.a.wilson[at]stir.ac.uk)
List of WG1 Members
|Clare Wilson (WG Leader)
|Jörg W.E. Fassbinder (WG Deputy)
||Bosnia and Herzegovina
||Bosnia and Herzegovinia